Sunday, September 14, 2008

Sab Paper Ideas

I think there are many possible topics one could write about for our paper on Sab. Character development is one. I think choosing one character like Sab, or Teresa, or even Carlotta would be cool, and picking three scenes throughout the book that really display their change in character. A paper on foil characters could work too. Sab v. Enrique would be a good one, Carlotta v Teresa, or Sab v Teresa would even work. I feel that character development and the different values present in each character are discussed at length and are a topic of major focus throughout the story. Avellaneda takes time to describe both the physical appearance and prominent values in each of her characters, and over the course of the book develops 4 strikingly different individuals, each of whom the reader is supposed to hold in a different light.

5 comments:

ChrisGarofoli said...

I like your ideas of essay topics. In my opinion, I like the Sab vs Enrique idea. In the novel, this is what Sab is constantly thinking about in how to beat Enrique and get Carlota, A form of competition for him. This topic could also be taken from Carlotta's viewpoint. This would also be interesting throughout the novel such as her opinion of Sab throughout the novel. Such as in the beginning she liked him and treated him as a friend and later in the novel she developed her feelings towards him.

campbell said...

I like the idea of character development throughout the novel. With many different characters in this novel, such as Sab, Enrique, Carlota, Teresa, ect., there are many possibilities as to why many characters develop and how. Picking three scenes seems like a good way to start and if each scene is elaborated on in detail, I'm sure that we will find that each character changes more than we expected. I also like how you discuss that the characters will not only change mentally, but also physically. I would also find it interesting if each character had their own point of view on how their opposing characters changed, like Carlota and Enrique's opinions of Sab and how he changed throughout the novel. Or Sab and Enrique's opinion on how Carlota changed.

Dr. Cummings said...

You've got some solid ideas here, just make sure that your paper isn't too centered on ideas that we have already discussed at length in class.

ratcliffel said...

I feel that your ideas are all pretty solid, but I do second Mr. Cummings. I think that your best option out of those ideas are the foils. That is something you can go in a bunch of different directions with. I think your best bet would be Carlota vs. Teresa because we have talked about them the least. They are also completely different characters so that could be really interesting. You could also foil the development of those two characters, so you are putting two of your ideas to work.

Ruth said...

I really like the idea of doing foils, but writing Sab v. Enrique would be repeating what we already said in class. I like the Sab v. Teresa and the Carlota v. Teresa idea the best. Lyndon, I think that doing a foil of the development of Carlota and Teresa is a good idea and would the best way to combine character development and foils.